Monday, January 4, 2010

tri time

I always admire those bloggers who write about their daily workouts and their trek toward accomplishing amazing feats of strength (marathons, triathlons, etc). As I mentioned in the earlier post, one of my resolutions is to compete and train for a triathlon- this one specifically.

Now I don't want to do this because I think I need to lose weight or get into shape, but because I need to feel like I can accomplish something successfully. This past year of grad school (specifically the last semester) has made me feel so darn crappy about myself, and actually question whether I should stick with the path I am on.

Last semester I was so darn stressed out that I rarely worked out and I think it really impacted how I felt about myself. In other words, no endorphins = sad, angry, frustrated, whiney, etc.....I also ate like a college kid, which made me feel really super duper gross all the time-ie chin zits. So my hope is that this training will accomplish two things: 1) working towards this goal will help me become a happier person which 2) will in turn boost my confidence in myself!

So I have five and a half months to get this show on the road. I love the tavern Triathlon here I come! If anyone has any training tips I'd love to hear them now!

5 comments:

Color Me Green said...

sorry i know nothing about training for anything as serious as that but i agree. i'm sure part of the reason i'm so grumpy is because of my low level of exercise but it's just so hard to get myself to go to the gym! argh. good luck!

Melissa said...

I am training for a half marathon right now too! The furthest I have done is a 12K so I'm up for the challenge but need to stay motivated I think...I am trying to do a race every month so that I stay focused. Best of luck to you! Keep us updated!

abigail said...

I plan on doing as many tribathalons (swimming, hot tub, steam shower) as I can this year.

I admire you for being more ambitious!

Jaeveberry said...

what a lovely goal! good for you. it's true: working out does give you that boost of self esteem, and it's easy, during times of heavy stress to neglect that part and just let everything spiral downward, but hey, you always have the chance to turn it around. good luck with this, i don't know you personally, but as long as you keep at it, you can accomplish whatever you set your mind to.

Abbie said...

I did the Denver Danskin triathlon three years ago and loved it. You can so do it!