Monday, April 18, 2011

on holding doors

To the 4 undergrad dudes hanging outside the library at 8am this morning,

Listen, I know its early and you are 18 or 19 and probably super overwhelmed with your own life, but when you see me (or any other person) coming carrying 4 cloth grocery bags filled with 37 library books* please do not look away pretend not to see me, avoid eye contact, or look down at your cell phone. Please hold the door for me.

This isn't a chivalry thing, and it isn't a southern thing, and it isn't about gender roles. It is a human decency thing- and you bet I'd hold the door for you in the same situation. That is all.

Happy Monday,

M

p.s. To the boy who ran across the lobby and held the second door, thank you. Your parents raised you well.

* Library books are the bane of my existence. Lets hope I can return all of them come next week!

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Dude, I feel the same way! It means a lot to have people just notice you need a door held, etc. and just do it...makes the world a better place! Props to the second door guy!

Oh, and kick booty on Wed. I will be thinking of you! Drinks or something to celebrate afterwards/dinner-ish?